August 9, 2016

Boudia and Johnson Proclaim Christ on National TV After Winning Olympic Silver


Boudia, left, and Johnson.

August 8, 2016

Christian Examiner – David Boudia and Steele Johnson won a silver medal for the United States Monday – and then proclaimed the name of Christ to a national television audience.

Boudia and Johnson won silver in men's synchronized 10-meter platform, giving Johnson his first and Boudia his third all-time Olympic medal (in 2012, he unexpectedly won Olympic gold in the men's 10-meter platform event, plus he and Nick McCrory won bronze in the men's 10-meter synchronized diving event).

Boudia's faith has been well-known to the sports world – he co-wrote a book, Greater Than Gold, about his faith – although many viewers likely didn't know much about Johnson, who was in tears after the duo learned they were second.
"There's been an enormous amount of pressure. I've felt it," Boudia, who still will compete in the individual platform, told an NBC national audience. "It's just an identity crisis. When my mind is on this [diving], and I'm thinking I'm defined by this, then my mind goes crazy. But we both know that our identity is in Christ, and we're thankful for this opportunity to be able to dive in front of Brazil and in front of the United States. It's been an absolutely thrilling moment for us."
Johnson agreed.
"The way David just described it was flawless – the fact that I was going into this event knowing that my identity is rooted in Christ and not what the result of this competition is just gave me peace ... and it let me enjoy the contest," Johnson told NBC. "If something went great, I was happy. If something didn't go great, I could still find joy because I'm at the Olympics competing with the best person, the best mentor – just one of the best people to be around. God's given us a cool opportunity, and I'm glad I could come away with an Olympic silver medal in my first-ever event."
Boudia's Twitter feed reads simply: "Follower of Christ, Psalm 115:1. Husband. Father. Olympic Champion Diver." He won a gold and bronze at his first Olympics in 2012.

Johnson's feed reads: "Christ Follower. 2016 Olympian. Cinematographer."

Boudia's book was published by Thomas Nelson and co-written with Tim Ellsworth.

No comments:

Post a Comment